Attorneys for OPERS Disability Benefits in Columbus, Ohio
Employees who are members of the School Employees Retirement System of Ohio (SERS) may be eligible for a monthly benefit if they are unable to continue working in their usual position of employment due to a medical condition.
Am I Eligible for SERS Disability Benefits?
To qualify for SERS disability benefits you must:
- Have at least five (5) years of total service credit (60 months).
- File an application for disability benefits no more than two (2) years from the date you stopped contributing.
- You must be incapable of performing your current job duties or the job duties of your last SERS-covered position.
- The disability must be expected to last at least 12 months from the time of filing.
- You cannot already be receiving an age and service retirement benefit or have received a refund of your contributions.
- For those who qualify under the old plan:
- A member must file a disability application before the age of 60; under the new plan, he or she may apply at any age.
What If My SERS Disability Benefits Were Denied or Terminated?
You may be able to appeal the denial or termination of your SERS benefits. However, the time to appeal is limited and this process can be hard to navigate. Contacting one of our SERS disability attorneys can help you through the process.