Police & Fire Disability
Police officers and firefighters are eligible to participate in the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund (OP&F). The fund covers retirement and permanent disability for members in the same way that Social Security does for most other Ohio residents.
Like those other programs for public sector workers, the OP&F is “designed to provide reasonable income to plan participants and their beneficiaries when they need it most, be it when they stop working, become disabled or in the event of death before or after retirement.”
OP&F Disability attorneys with Agee Clymer work to make the OP&F live up to that mission statement on behalf of police officers and firefighters who see their public safety career cut short by an injury or illness.
Do I qualify for OP&F disability benefits?
To qualify for OP&F disability benefits, you must:
- Be currently making contributions to the fund, or have made your final contribution within one year of the date on which you submit your application for disability benefits.
- Suffer from a physical or mental condition that renders you permanently unable to perform all the duties of your police or fire job.
- A partial disability may be covered, but only if the symptoms and limitations will not resolve. However, Workers’ Compensation may cover a partial disability.
- Submit extensive medical documentation of your disabling condition and of your health status prior to becoming disabled.
- Your disability does not need to be work-related.
What if I participate in the Deferred Retirement Option Plan (DROP)?
You are eligible to receive OP&F disability benefits, but, you must choose either to accept the disability benefits and forfeit your DROP accruals or decline the disability benefits and continue participating in DROP.
How can an Agee Clymer OP&F attorney help me with my OP&F disability benefits?
The OP&F rejects a significant percentage of applications for disability benefits. We welcome this as an opportunity to advocate for disabled police officers and firefighters!
Stopping a career before expecting to do so can be difficult and emotionally trying. At Agee Clymer, we are here to help OP&F members make that decision and transition with minimal difficulty. Contact our office today for a free consultation at 614-221-3318